Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The Tank




It's true, she really is like a Tank.  That's how she got her name.  She is short and stalky like a tank and moves like one too.  When Tank's little legs go up in the air it's like 2x4's flailing around.  Protect your face because if one hits you, you may just lose an eye.



This stiff little Jack Russell came into my life as a Hopes Haven foster.  When I got Tank(named Haley at the time), she was depressed, grumpy and disconnected.  Tank hated my dogs and any other dog she came into contact with and even nipped at my kids a couple of times. 

I didn't think that this was a kind of dog that I could handle, especially if she wasn't going to be nice to my kids(obviously, they come first).  But then, something happened.  When Tank was shown boundaries, love, consistency, patience and LOYALTY, she became a completely different dog.

Tank changed.  So did I.  Tank taught me that we all have a past.  That past can damage us and make us act like we don't want to...in a way we know isn't right, but in a way we feel like we have to in order to protect our hearts from more hurt.  Once Tank knew she was safe, loved and not given up on she opened up and became an amazing dog. 

 


Fostering is not easy.  Adoption is not always easy either.  As a matter of fact, most of the time it is NOT!  Rescues are called RESCUES because they are helping dogs that aren't PERFECT.  Many of the dogs comes with baggage, issues and trust that needs to be earned.  They need TIME.  Time to readjust, to feel safe, to learn boundaries, rules and limitations in their new home. 

There were so many times with Tank that I wanted to give up.  I told myself that I couldn't do this and that she was never going to change.  I found my strength and then she followed suit.  Tank is one of the best dogs I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.  But ya know what?  Tank has taught me more than I have ever taught her. 

Anyone who has ever played a part in rehabilitating a damaged dog, can tell you that the reward is inconceivable unless you've been there.  If you are considering fostering or adopting, be prepared to commit yourselves.  These dogs deserve nothing less than all you have to give.  Many of the VERY BEST dogs are those that us humans have to have faith, patience, training and HEART to truly unveil their potential.  We understand that there will be failures, we've been there ourselves!  No person or dog is perfect and sometimes the match just isn't made.  When considering a rescue dog, please give it all of your self and consider it a journey...one well worth made. 

If you ask me...the best dogs are those that you have to fight for!  And most of the time...we find out more about ourselves in the process.


Until next time,

katie

1 comment:

  1. All of my pets have been rescues of some sorts, and they have all been special. My current rescue is a poodle with severe seizure disorder, she's got peripheral vision impairment, is as clumsy of a dog as I have ever known, and separation anxiety in a fierce way. In short, much of the time she can be unbearable, and she cannot be left alone. Ever. Between taking her to work, baby sitters, my patient husband and doggy daycare, we get by. But it is hard.

    BUT, knowing the history she had (which I will spare us all here), it is amazing that she trusts, loves, shows joy, and has the ability to feel. She has put away a really bad past as best as she can, brought a whole lot of baggage, but I admire her. Had I been thru what she has, I would never have opened up like she has. It's been two years since we have had her, and she is a pain in the a$$. But, also the best snuggler, the most loyal dog, is my camping buddy, a great car passenger and doesn't have a mean bone in her body.

    It has been a journey requiring lots of counseling from friends, dog people, behaviorists and others. But when Mimi leaves the earth someday, I will know that I changed her life, that I made her feel safe and loved, and I have no doubt that she is grateful for this every day. It is worth it.

    ReplyDelete